Welcome back to Movement Mondays! Today my time-sensitive ask is that you make quick phone calls to your representatives AND/OR send emails regarding Senator Manchin’s side deal portion of the Inflation Reduction Act that would gut environmental regulations (Clean Water Act!) and accelerate the federal permitting process for energy projects. This legislation is a gift to the fossil fuels industry and Manchin’s #1 project priority is the Mountain Valley Pipeline. [NOTE: more background info and links below.]
Basic message: Vote NO to this side deal that will accelerate the climate crisis and is just a gift to the fossil fuel industry.
917-791-2257 will give you a brief script then connect you to your Senators (thanks to the People vs. Fossil Fuels Coalition).
202-224-3121 is the Capitol Switchboard where you can ask to be connected to your senators and representative.
You may also, of course, call directly to your representatives’ DC and local offices
If you aren’t comfortable making phone calls, you may use your representatives’ email contact form to send your message.
- Senator Schumer has attached Manchin’s side deal to the government funding vote which must happen by September 30 in order to keep the government running. This means there’s no debate on the side deal, only a vote.
- Here’s the recently released text of Manchin’s permitting side deal:
- Here’s a response to the side deal from EarthJustice: https://earthjustice.org/news/press/2022/earthjustice-statement-on-senator-manchins-permitting-side-deal-text?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_term=feed&ms=twitter
- Here’s a response from CommonDreams: https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/09/21/manchin-unveils-full-text-shameless-handout-fossil-fuel-industry?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1663824116
- There’s a digital rally tomorrow with the Climate Justice Alliance and Indigenous Environmental Network to fight back against the #DirtyDeal:
This action is VERY important and phone calls from constituents carry a lot of weight. PLEASE take the time to urge your representatives: NO to the permitting side deal!